Key areas of improvement across the five sites include:
- Safety improvements across all sites, with hazards and accidents decreasing.
- Enhancement of educational tools regarding safety.
- Immense recycling progress, in particularly at the Hastings site.
AAK Foodservice has pledged that by 2030, 100% of our waste will be recycled. The Hastings site is making exceptional progress towards this goal. Hastings currently recycle 87% of their waste, with the remaining 13% of waste being used to generate power via aerobic digestion. Hastings commitment to recycling means that the site now saves the equivalent of 43 trees.
Hastings have also implemented changes that enable the well-being of their people as well as improving sustainability. Site toilets have been upgraded to a more modern system. Not only does this save water, but it provides better facilities for team members. Water usage is a crucial aspect in our plans to minimise environmental impact, and we are currently developing plans to improve AAK’s wastewater processing.
This impressive progress is recognised by colleagues throughout the Hastings site. Stacy Bradley, Health, Safety & Environment Co-Ordinator at Hastings said: "The first Forum meeting went well; it will be great to continue these conversations and see what progress we all achieve over the coming months and years. It is exciting to share the progress we are making here at Hastings, and it is something I am very proud to be part of.”
At AAK, we recognise our responsibility not only to the environment, but also to our neighbouring communities. To be a Better Neighbour, we aim to establish long-term initiatives to impact communities in a positive way. Our Hull site has been working with local deprived schools, providing fruit trees to introduce green spaces. Hull will also be working with lifeboat organisation Humber Rescue, helping AAK become Better Neighbours.
AAK Foodservice is devoted to embedding Better Behaviours within all our team members, making Better Operations Happen across all our sites. We believe that long-term, sustainable growth goes hand-in-hand with making a positive impact. We are proud that progress is happening, and we are striving to achieve all our Better Operations commitments and ambitions, to Make Better HappenTM.